The App Store did not allow you to download free iPhone applications without registering a credit card. Even to download a free iPhone application, they would ask for your credit card details.
But there is no need to worry about this anymore, as Apple already allows users to create an iTunes account without submitting credit card information.
The method is very simple, below we list the necessary steps.
1. Open iTunes. If you don’t have iTunes available, you can download it from this link.
2. Go to the right section of the iTunes Store and click on any free iPhone application.
3. Clicking on the application will open a description page. Then click the “GET APP” button. This will open a new window. Click the “Create New Account” button.
4. You will be greeted with the welcome message from iTunes. Click “Continue”.
5. You will then see the iTunes Store Terms and Conditions page, click the “I have read and agree to the iTunes Terms and Conditions” checkbox.
6. Now, enter the required information. Please enter a valid email address. Once you’ve entered your information, click “Continue.”
7. This is where you will see that you can select “None” as the Payment Method. This option was previously unavailable.
8. Select the ‘None’ button and enter your personal information, then click “Continue”
9. You will receive a message informing you that a confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.
10. Now, check your email account. You should have received the confirmation email from the iTunes Store. Note: check your spam folder, in case you don’t receive the email in 5-10 minutes.
The email will suggest you click a link to activate your newly created iTunes Store account.
11. When you click on the link, you will be asked to enter your account details in the login window. Please enter your email address and password.
12. You must already be registered in and you can start downloading all the iPhone applications that are available for free without having to enter any credit card details.
UPDATE: You can view an updated version of this entry by clicking here.