Transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone for years it was an impossible, or at least very complicated, operation. There has never been an official, effective, safe solution. It was necessary to use third-party services, often for a fee, to which the data contained in the WhatsApp chats were entrusted, in the hope that the migration would work, and that the confidentiality of the conversations would not be compromised.
Fortunately, things have recently changed, and it is now possible to use the app “Switch to iOS” also for move WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone for freeand with them all their contents (conversations, voice notes, photos, and all multimedia files).
Switch to iOS is in fact the official application developed by Apple and dedicated to those who want to keep their data from an Android smartphone to an iPhone; the novelty is that now it is possible to use it also to transfer WhatsApp chats, although some conditions must be respected.
- Backup WhatsApp chats on Android
- Transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone
To transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone it is not enough to have the two mobile phones in question, but they must also comply with certain conditions.
First of all, the Android smartphone must have at least the version 5.0 Lollipop or higher. This shouldn’t be a problem at all, as this is a 2014 release. Also, on the same smartphone, you’ll need to install the free Switch to IOS app.
Likewise, the iPhone needs to be upgraded to iOS 15.5 or later. In this case the requirement is much more stringent, because it is a version released in May 2022. It is true that all iPhone models from iPhone SE (first generation of 2016) onwards can be updated to iOS 15.5, therefore most part of the users should have no problems.
However, there is another important requirement: the iPhone must be new or just reset. In short, you cannot transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to an already configured iPhone. In short, if you already have an iPhone, you will have to have the patience to reset it, thus losing all your data, but you can still take advantage of Switch to iOS to transfer all the information contained on Android to iPhone, not just WhatsApp chats.
Fortunately, it is probably easier for someone to want to transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to a new iPhone, rather than to one already in use, which otherwise would already have WhatsApp installed.
Finally, both smartphones must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network at the time of data transfer, but this can hardly be a problem.
Backup WhatsApp chats on Android
Before proceeding to transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iOS it is better to make a backup of WhatsApp on Android, even just for safety. This way all your chats will be safe in the cloud, so you can restore them in case of problems.
The procedure is very simple. Just open WhatsApp on Android and press the three dots at the top right, then select Settingsso Chatand finally Backup of chats. At this point it will be sufficient to press on Backup and that’s it: all you have to do is wait for the backup to complete, the progress of which will be indicated by a green bar with the percentage of completion next to it.
If you want the backup to include the video exchanged on WhatsApp, just select the appropriate option at the bottom of the screen, before clicking on the button to back up. In case you have forgotten it, or if you change your mind, it will be sufficient to make a new backup after selecting it. The following screenshots clearly illustrate all the steps just described.
Transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone
And here we are at the main dish: let’s see how to transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone in a few simple steps, assuming that you have already followed what is illustrated in the previous points.
- Connect the two smartphones to the same Wi-Fi network, and start the initial configuration of your new (or reset) iPhone.
- At some point you will be asked if you want to transfer data to the iPhone: choose to move it from Android.
- On Android, open the Switch to iOS app, which you should have already downloaded (you can also download it right now), and follow the on-screen instructions.
- On iPhone, press Keep on when you see the Switch to iOS screen and wait for a Numerical code.
- Enter this code on the Android smartphone, select WhatsApp in the next data transfer screen, and press on Start.
- You will have to wait for a while (even a very long time depending on the backup size), until WhatsApp chats and data are ready for transfer. At the end you will be log out from your WhatsApp account on Android.
- Complete the initial configuration of the iPhone and at the end download WhatsApp from the App Store. At this point you just have to log in to WhatsApp on iPhone with the same phone number you used on Android, and that’s it: WhatsApp will be there to welcome you with all the chats in the right place.