It is useless to go around it, there camera is one of the characteristics of smartphone that most interest users at the moment of the purchase. For this we prepare ours tips based on the best device in this regard, as well as for the battery or for the absolute best.
However, there is one characteristic which tends to differentiate premium phones from less expensive models, and it is optical zoom, which manufacturers are introducing by taking advantage of increasingly cutting-edge technologies (Sony Xperia IV above all). For this we have prepared one ranking of smartphones with the more powerful zoomstarting from best in this sense and limiting ourselves to the models marketed in Italy. Some of these devices they were launched last year, but they still make their mark and allow to watch where others don’t dare!
Android smartphones with more zoom 2022
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
- Sony Xperia IV
- Vivo X80 Pro
- Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
- Motorola Edge 20 Pro
- Google Pixel 6 Pro
- Honor Magic 4 Pro
- Huawei P50 Pro
- Oneplus 10 Pro
- Asus Zenfone 8 Flip
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Let’s start our list with Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, the top of the Korean giant equipped with all features you may want in a phone. From the point of view photographicthe device is equipped with four sensorsincluding two dedicated to zoom for the most complete set currently on the market:
- principal 108 megapixel ƒ / 1.8 optically stabilized
- wide angle 12 megapixel ƒ / 2.2
- 3x zoom 10 megapixel ƒ / 2.4
- 10x zoom periscope 10 megapixel ƒ / 4.9
The 3x canvases offers very clean images, with good detail and wide dynamic range, while the periscope module 10x gives an interesting perspective, despite being less bright and slightly louder. The device is available in Italy since February.
Just for the sake of completeness, even younger siblings are gifted with optical zoom.
Galaxy S22 + and Galaxy S22 with this configuration:
- principal 50 MP, f / 1.8, 1 / 1.56 “, PDAF, OIS
- ultrawide 12 MP, f / 2.2, 120˚, 1 / 2.55 “
- 3x optical zoom 10 MP, f / 2.4, 70 mm, 1 / 3.94 “, PDAF, OIS
and Galaxy S21 FE:
- principal 12 MP, f / 1.8, 1 / 1.76 “, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- ultrawide 12 MP, f / 2.2, 123˚, 1 / 3.0 “
- 3x optical zoom 8 MP, f / 2.4, 76mm, PDAF, OIS
So they would be at the bottom of this list.
Sony Xperia IV
Announced a month ago, Sony Xperia 1 IV is the first smartphone to have a true optical zoomas it is equipped with a moving lens which can vary between two zoom ends smoothly and continuously, just like any camera. The camera sector is composed as follows:
- Principal: 12MP Sony IMX 557 1 / 1.7 “sensor, 24 mm lens with ƒ / 1.7 aperture, OIS and Dual Pixel PDAF
- Wide angle: 12MP Sony IMX 563 1 / 2.5 “sensor, 16 mm lens and ƒ / 2.2 aperture and Dual Pixel AF
- 3.5x zoom (85 mm) – 5.2x (125 mm): 12MP ƒ / 2.3-2.8 1 / 3.5 “” OIS and PDAF
Unfortunately we have not yet published the our reviewbut we expect great things from this engineering marvel! The device is already available on Amazon a € 1,399a high figure but difficult to compare to other smartphones for what it offers.
Vivo X80 Pro
Announced less than a week ago in our country, the new one Vivo X80 Pro is the top of the company most voted for imaging, also thanks to the collaboration with Zeiss which led, in addition to developing first level objectives, also to interesting functions such as ZEISS Cinematic, Pure Night View and ZEISS Natural Color. This is the set of rear cameras:
- Principal: 50 megapixels, ƒ / 1.57, ISOCELL GNV, OIS
- Wide angle: 48 megapixels, ƒ / 2.2 IMX598
- Telephoto lens: 12 megapixels, ƒ1.85 optical zoom 2x Gimbal OIS
- Periscope: 8 megapixels, ƒ / 4.4 5x optical zoom 60x digital zoom
Here too we have well two canvasesone 2x with OIS Gimbal (which incorporates the technology seen in the Vivo X51) and one periscope with 5x optical zoom. Vivo X80 Pro is the first top of the company to arrive in Italyand will be available from the end of June in major stores at the price of € 1,299.
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Waiting for Xiaomi 12 Ultra, expected shortly, we insert last year’s Xiaomi Ultra, Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra, in our list. The device has three cameras:
- principal 50 megapixel ƒ / 1.95 with 1 / 1.12 “sensor optically stabilized
- wide angle 48 megapixel ƒ / 2.2
- 5x zoom 48 megapixel periscope ƒ / 4.1 stabilized with 1/2 “Sony IMX586 sensor with Quad Bayer filter and 12 MP photos.
The surrender of the zoom is very good, with excellent details with good light and excellent dynamic range, but in our test we would have wanted an intermediate zoom before the 5X (obtainable anyway with the main one with 2x digital zoom). The device was sold exclusively by TIM at the price of € 1,399 but now it is no longer in the price list, so you have to orient yourself to the market used.
Motorola Edge 20 Pro
Motorola Edge 20 Pro is a device from last year, but the new Motorola Edge 30 Pro, while great, does not come with zoom camera, so we decided to propose the most performing in this sense. The photographic sector is obviously of the first level:
- principal 108 megapixel Samsung ISOCELL HM2 1 / 1.52 “sensor with 24mm equivalent focal length lens and ƒ / 1.9 aperture, without OIS
- wide angle 16 megapixels, 1 / 3.06 “ƒ / 2.2 Omnivision OV16A10 sensor
- 5x optical zoom periscope 13 megapixel 1 / 4.4 “OmniVision OV08A10 sensor, 126mm equivalent focal length lens, ƒ / 3.4 aperture and OIS
The zoom yield is Greatand with good light it manages to get fine details, natural colors and good contrast. In this price range, it is difficult to find someone who can do better, although unfortunately an intermediate zoom lens is missing. The device is still for sale on Amazon and TIMRetail for less than 400 euros, if you are looking for an inexpensive pushed zoom phone, it is unbeatableand it just was updated to Android 12.
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Let’s move on to Google Pixel 6 Prothe top of Google with a very complete (and new) sector cameras as follows:
- principal 50 megapixels, sensor Samsung ISOCELL GN1 1 / 1.31 “ with objective f / 1.85 optically stabilized
- wide angle 12 megapixel ƒ / 2.2
- 4x zoom 48 megapixel, 1/2 “sensor and lens with ƒ / 3.5 aperture optically stabilized and equipped with PDAF.
The 4x zoom has an excellent stabilization and it gives a lot of results satisfactory, with excellent dynamic range and faithful colors, in many cases generating less sharp and therefore more natural images than the main camera. It lacks a bit of contrast, though. The device is in finally sale on the Google Store priced at 899 euros, in the black 128 GB version. Optimal.
Honor Magic 4 Pro
Honor Magic 4 Pro is one of the most smartphones interesting on the market, symbol of a company that wants to take the place of Huawei in the hearts of fans. The sensor set is very respectable.
- principal 50 megapixel ƒ / 1.8 (unstabilized)
- wide angle 50 megapixel ƒ / 2.2
- 3.5X periscope zoom 64 megapixels ƒ / 3.5, 0.7 µm (with OIS)
- ToF sensor
- anti flickering sensor
The 3.5x periscope zoom camera is equipped with standard Bayer filter and it is different from the usual ones, as in general the 3.5x zoom is often obtained with zoom lenses while the periscope ones usually have 5x zoom. There yield is excellentwith an impressive level of detail, albeit with few light the quality degrades quickly. The device is available on HiHonor and in major stores at the price of 1,099 EUR.
Huawei P50 Pro
Huawei P50 Pro, on the other hand, represents a company that could truly have become the largest player in the telephony sector. With a camera compartment at the topthe phone would have had all the features to be one of the 2022 phones if it had services Google and 5G. Here are the features aimed at imaging:
- principal 50 megapixel ƒ / 1.8 optically stabilized with PDAF and laser AF
- monochrome 40 megapixel ƒ / 1.6, which omits a Bayer color filter
- ultra wide angle 13 megapixel f / 2.2
- 3.5x zoom periscope 64 megapixel with Bayer filter instead of Quad-Bayer, 90 mm lens, ƒ / 3.5 aperture, OIS. Photo at 16 MP
Unfortunately Huawei took a step back in zoom camera specs compared to P40 Pro +, which had a 10x optical zoom. As for the rendering, it is exceptional, high detail, little noise, great contrast, accurate colors and perfect dynamic range. It also lets you get one 10x digital zoom without loss of information by simply “cropping” the center of the original 64 MP image (a bit like the late Nokia PureView did). The device is on sale in Italy at € 1,199.
Oneplus 10 Pro
OnePlus 10 Pro is a complete smartphone, equipped with a set of cameras interesting result of the collaboration with Hasselblad and able to give satisfaction:
- principal 48 megapixels, Sony Exmor IMX789, aperture lens ƒ / 1.8 optically stabilized
- wide angle 50 megapixels, sensor Samsung ISOCELL JN1 ƒ / 2.2 with an aperture of 150 ° (but you can also shoot with a classic wide angle).
- 3.3X optical zoom 8 megapixels OmniVision OV08A10, lens with aperture ƒ / 2.4 76mm equivalent with OIS and PDAF
There zoom camera has a minimum focusing distance of about 30cm, and it automatically switches to the main focus as that distance approaches. Surrender is acceptablebut under the tops and fatigue a lot in low light, special light / color situations or at night without night mode. Available on official store starting from 919 euros.
Asus Zenfone 8 Flip
We close our ranking with a device unique. Thanks to the particular shape of his camera compartment, which can rotate towards the user, Asus Zenfone 8 Flip is the king of selfies, which can be taken with the main sensors. The set consists of three cameras:
- principal 64 megapixels with 1 / 1.7 “Sony IMX686 sensor with ƒ / 1.8 aperture Dual Pixel AF but not OIS
- wide angle 12 megapixel Sony IMX363 1 / 2.55 “sensor, ƒ / 2.2 aperture and 112 degree field of view
- 3x zoom 8 megapixel OmniVision OV08A sensor with f / 2.4 aperture, equivalent to 80mm, but without OIS
There camera zoom quality it is not excellent, with some blurred and poorly defined photos, especially indoors, while HDR, exposure and color rendering are of a decent level. Available on Asus store (discounted at 699 euros at the time of writing the article) and Amazon marketplace.