In the early hours of Sunday, May 15, to Monday, May 16, 2022, there will be a lunar eclipse that can be seen from many points of the planet. Spain is one of them. We tell you how and where to see it thanks to an app for iPhone.
If you are an astronomy lover, on Sunday night we have an exciting event in which we can see a lunar eclipse and, also, the long-awaited blood moon. Thanks to the astronomy apps that we have available for iPhone, we can know if from where we are we can see the eclipse and, also, the exact time of it.
In addition, there is a specific application that allows us to recreate the eclipse. This will come in handy for all those people who, for work reasons, studies… or other necessities, cannot see it. It is an event that is better seen live and in person, but we know that many times it is not possible and that is why we give you the tool to recreate it.
App to see the lunar eclipse of May 2022:
The app is called Star Walk 2 Ads+ (we leave the download link at the end of the article) and it’s free with in-app purchases. To know when and where the eclipse will take place, you don’t need to pay anything, with the free version it’s worth it.
Once downloaded we do the following:
- The first configuration we have to do is about our location. The app will ask us whether to do it manually or automatically and we will choose the latter option by clicking on the “Current” button. Now it asks us if we want to use the location in this app and we click on “Allow when using the app” but before that we will make this setting so that do not locate us the exact location. This is something that if you don’t want to do, don’t do it. For this type of apps, we always put a non-exact location.
- Now we have to choose if we want to allow notifications from the app or not. That is up to everyone’s taste. We, being passionate about astronomy, say yes by clicking on “Allow”.
- Now comes the moment of the payment that we will not make by clicking on the “No thanks” button. If you want to buy the app, which we recommend 100%, simply click on €5.99 to pay for it and thus access all the information in the app, without advertising.
We are already inside. As you will see, some small notes will appear to learn how to use the app. We encourage you to do them all.
Where to look to see the eclipse live:
Thanks to the app we will be able to know which part of the sky to look at to see the eclipse.
moving the iPhone making a kind of 8 in the sky, we will see how the function that allows us to focus on the sky to know what we are seeing through the mobile screen is activated. It is a SPECTACULAR function !!!.
This will allow us to see where the moon is, which you will know because it is evident that the moon is seen with the naked eye, to know where to look and see the eclipse.
While this is taking place you can click on any star, planet… that you see on the screen, by clicking on its name that will appear at the bottom of the screen, to find out more about it.
Go back and forward in time to see the eclipse virtually:
But the interesting thing about this app is that we can go forward and backward in time, so we can see the eclipse live whatever day it is. To do this we will do the following:
- Click on the search button, which is represented by a magnifying glass at the bottom left of the screen.
- We look for the word “moon” and click on the first result that will appear in the list.
Search Moon in the search engine
- We now have the moon in focus on the screen. Now what we have to do is click on the clock that appears in the upper right.
- We will see that the day and time appear. Now we click on the time, in our case it will be above the number 11, to advance hour by hour. If we want to advance minute by minute, we click on the minutes. If we want to advance day by day we select day, etc… .
- Now we are going to scroll up the scroll that appears on the right side of the screen (a few dashes as a meter) until we reach 5-16-2022 around 4:30 a.m. (Spain time) to start seeing how the lunar eclipse has been or will be.
Time at which the celestial event occurs
If you want to see it more clearly, access settings and in the constellations section select the stars option. This way you will avoid seeing the constellations with their drawings.
I recommend that you zoom in at the moment the eclipse occurs to see it even more closely.
Lunar Eclipse in Star Walk 2
Undoubtedly a magnificent app to know if from our location we can see the lunar eclipse and in what part of the sky it will be and, also, it will allow us to see it virtually, in case we cannot do it physically.
Download Star Walk 2 Ads+