WhatsApp has a nifty new feature that allows you to send disappearing messages. To the activate temporary WhatsApp messages, these will disappear after seven days. The feature is now available for individual and group chats, so here’s what you need to know about disappearing messages on WhatsApp and how you can set it up right now.
How to activate the temporary messages of WhatsApp
For individual chats, any of the users can configure disappearing messages. But for the group chats, only administrators can enable the feature. Once temporary WhatsApp messages are enabled, all new messages in the chat after that point will disappear after seven days.
Existing messages in the chat will not be affected and only valid on new messages after the feature is enabled. So let’s see how you can send disappearing messages on WhatsApp:
- Opens WhatsApp from the home screen.
- Select the individual or group chat for which you want to configure disappearing messages.
- Touch the contact name or group name to access the chat settings.
- Choose Posts that disappear.
- Set the switch to Switched on.
- You’ll see a confirmation message in the chat that disappearing messages are now enabled.
What you need to know about temporary messages
WhatsApp has shared guidelines on how temporary messages work. By default, the media are configured to automatically download to the internal memory of your mobile. So if disappearing messages are enabled in a chat, any sent media will disappear within the chat after seven days; yes, the downloaded file will remain on your phone.
Because WhatsApp allows you to reply to and forward messages, this is how those functions affect disappearing messages. From WhatsApp:
- If a user does not open WhatsApp within the seven day period, the message will disappear. However, the message preview may still show in notifications until WhatsApp is opened.
- When you reply to a message, the initial message is quoted. If you reply to a message that disappears, the quoted text can remain in the chat after seven days.
- Now if a disappearing message is forwarded to a chat with the disappearing messages, the message will not disappear in the forwarded chat.
- If a user creates a backup before a message disappears, the disappearing message will be included in the backup. Disappearing messages will be deleted when a user restores from a backup.
WhatsApp is available on all Android phones and other platforms. It is the default messaging platform for more than 1 billion users around the world. The Facebook-owned service regularly gets new features, and with disappearing messages, you can easily control your privacy when using WhatsApp.